Copywriter/Editor (3 posts)
Location : Sarajevo, BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA
Application Deadline : 27-Jul-17 (Midnight New York, USA)
Time left : 14d 19h 2m
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : National Consultant
Languages Required :
Duration of Initial Contract : Up to 11 expert days per Consultant
The purpose of this consultancy is to promote the achievements of the Strengthening the Role of Local Communities in BiH initiative and provide relevant, accurate, and consistent project information to the BiH citizens, partner institutions (all levels of government, civil society), donors and other selected audiences.
The objective of the consultancy is to develop content for the web platform as a communications product to present the work and accomplishments of project partners, through human approach stories featuring Project beneficiaries in 24 partner Local Self-Governance Units (LSUs) – and selected CSOs, to wider audience, as well as to raise awareness and understanding of the Strengthening the Role of Local Communities in BiH initiative, its objectives and achievements. To ensure that this important initiative gets off to the best start possible, we require the services of three copywriters for the duration of 11 days and for 24 municipalities in BiH:
Sarajevo region: Sarajevo Stari Grad, Pale FBiH, Ilijaš, Olovo, Zenica, Rudo, Novo Sarajevo and Visoko
Northwest region: Sanski Most, Kljuc, Laktaši, Gradiška, Kotor Varoš, Tešanj, Banja Luka and
Hercegovina region: Jablanica, Ljubuški, Nevesinje, Ljubinje.
Strengthening the Role of Local Communities/Mjesne zajednice (MZs) in BiH project objective is to improve the quality of life of the citizens of BiH through bolstering local services, increasing governmental accountability, and promoting social inclusion.
The project’s purpose is to foster citizen participation in municipal decision making, in the ensured provision of quality services by the municipality, and in the implementation of local development activities, by underlining the democratic role of MZs in BiH.
The Project is geared towards strengthening local communities (MZs) and will empower women and include marginalized population groups into the economic, social and political mainstream. The three specific Project outcomes are:
Outcome 1: A commitment from the citizens and from the government to realising a jointly agreed upon, inclusive, gender-sensitive vision of MZs in BiH, as a foundation for a more accountable and involved local governance. This outcome will identify the best practices in MZs in the region, finding the legal and institutional structures that work and highlighting inspirational examples to show citizens that success can be achieved.
Outcome 2: Pro-active, inter-connected MZs with increased capacity that contribute to downward responsiveness in local governments and improved service delivery. To reach this outcome, the project will work directly with the leaders and communities that make up MZs, and with the LG officials and administration who are ultimately responsible for most of the public services. It will strengthen leadership, improve organization, systems and the regulatory framework at the local level, and provide MZs with the tools they need to engage the community, involve women, include the most vulnerable, make joint decisions and carry out their ideas. It will investigate varying models for democracy; build on existing successful ventures; and tailor activities to specific communities per need, leadership aspirations, and local community willingness to be involved. It intends to capacity build in areas such as education, health care and social services. This is in hopes of fostering in the people a deeper understanding of policymaking, budget formulation, and resource allocation, enabling more efficient and accountable local governance. Finally, it will support communities in planning and prioritizing their own time and resources to initiate projects that matter to them, with financial support from the project to help turn strategy into reality.
Outcome 3: A new regulatory framework for functional MZs developed by governments that enables more inclusive, gender-sensitive and accountable local governance in BiH. Having analyzed carefully how MZs best work and developed a common vision of the new role they can play in BiH (outcome 1), and worked with MZs, LGs and their communities in translating these ideas into practice (outcome 2), the project will have a strong legal basis for all MZs in the country to function more effectively. In that light, the third outcome aims to create a new legal structure that fits with the vision across all tiers of government, and to create an environment where MZs can become effective and democratic channels for citizens to participate in their own governance.
Duties and Responsibilities
Development of content for the web platform (mjesnezajednice.ba)
- The Copywriters/Editors are expected to produce content for the project’s web platform (mjesnezajednice.ba), communications channel. The copywriters will help develop and strengthen the efficiency of the communications channel with a strong writing style.
- This consultancy will be undertaken under the supervision of the Project Manager and UNDP Communications Officer.
- Review and compile the existing project-related public information material such as success stories, news features, videos and press releases, as well as general project reports in general and per partner local government.
The copywriters are therefore expected to:
- Create stories, take note of all of the activities per local government that have been implemented through the MZ project through the eyes of the key stakeholders: from local government representatives (mayor and coordinator), CSO, MZ, activists, CH, etc.;
- Adopt stories to meet the needs of a web platform and its audience in a way that it can be automatically uploaded onto the existing web platform;
- Collect information (from MZ project staff, partner LSUs and CSOs) and write feature/success stories from the field (5-7 stories per local governance and per MZ, for the whole duration of the contract);
- Provide original copywriting on the required project topics resulting in materials that communicate sufficiently to the web audience;
- Compile text from provided sources with evidence-based information, to edit and proofread and re-write texts;
- Edit content for the website to ensure that it communicates the message to the audience properly
- Write/edit short feature/success stories produced by partner CSOs;
- Conduct interviews with relevant stakeholders;
- Ensure produced content promotes key UNDP values and donors’ values;
- Ensure that the donor is promoted in accordance with the Principal and Guidelines for External Communication of the project;
- Provide all materials that will be used in a newsletter to UNDP Communications Unit, which will be featured through UNDP’s website and social media. This will ensure increased promotion of the MZ project through UNDP’s, online communication channels.
- The content will be proposed to and approved by the MZ Project Manager and UNDP Communications Unit.
Deliverables and timelines
The Copywriters/Editors are responsible for the following deliverables:
- Creation of work plan for each/specific region – August 10, 2017 (1 day);
- Visiting the field and Draft content for the webplatform – August 20, 2017 (8 days);
- Review and Quality control of content – August 22, 2017 (1 day);
- Finalization of the content for the webplatform – August 24, 2017 (1 day);
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Functional Competencies
- Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Demonstrates excellent skills in communication, including the ability to convey complex concepts and recommendations, both orally and in writing, in a clear and persuasive style tailored to match target audiences;
- Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard;
- Knowledge and skill to mainstream gender equality in writing of feature stories;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints;
- Plans and produces quality results to meet established goals;
- Generates innovative, practical solutions to challenging situations;
- Conceptualizes and analyses problems to identify key issues, underlying problems, and how they relate;
- Demonstrates substantive and technical knowledge to meet responsibilities and post requirements with excellence;
- Executes day-to-day tasks systematically and efficiently;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view;
- Strong IT skills;
- Leadership and Self-Management:
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
Required Skills and Experience
- A university degree in communications (journalism) or related social science field;
- At least 5 years of relevant and proven professional experience in journalism, copywriting and editing;
- Strong knowledge of production of content for print media (newsletters and brochures) required;
- Previous experience with Swiss/Sweden funded projects and/or UNDP projects will be considered an asset;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and BiH languages.
Applications will be evaluated based on a cumulative analysis taking into consideration the combination of the technical criteria and financial proposal. The technical criteria will account for 70% (70 points) and the financial proposal will account for 30% (30 points) of the total evaluation score. Only candidates who have scored a minimum of 49 points (70%) of technical evaluation will be considered for the further assessment.
Applicants are required to submit an application including:
At least five (5) articles or interviews or blogposts written by the candidate;
Financial proposal indicating lump sum fee for the assignment.